Take it from us, there are a LOT of mistakes you have the potential to make when migrating your business’ data and assets to the cloud. However, the cloud is a necessary step for many businesses moving into the future.
It’s important to understand the strategic process by which cloud migration occurs to ensure a smooth cloud migration and avoid crossing any barriers. Avoiding common mistakes can, ultimately, lead to successful cloud migration for your business.
In this article, we’re going to discuss how to ensure a successful cloud migration, as well as 3 mistakes to avoid making along the way.
The Cloud Migration Process For Chicagoland Businesses
Migrating data to the cloud can pose security risks and has the potential to leave you vulnerable to making mistakes along the way. To ensure a successful migration to the cloud, we’ve outlined a cloud migration process to help you better understand the steps involved.
- Cloud assessment – you’ll want to get an assessment of your current security risks, the cost of migrating your data to the cloud, and which architecture of infrastructure will be best for your business.
- Data strategy – create a strategy that leverages your storage options and takes security into account.
- Application migration – what applications need to be migrated? From Google Apps, shared Calendars, public folders, contacts, email, and tasks, you’ll want to ensure all of your applications are migrated.
- Leverage cloud – scale, automate, test!
- Optimization – monitor and redesign.
3 Cloud Migration Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make
Cloud migration offers many benefits for businesses including supple storage, increased security, lower costs, and more. It’s not surprising that many businesses in Chicago are migrating to the cloud. In fact, a 2019 research study from Flexera showed that 94% of businesses had migrated to the cloud for their data sharing and information needs.
The cloud migration process is intended to enhance data security while making it accessible any time, anywhere. Here are 3 common mistakes to avoid making when migrating your Chicagoland business to the cloud.
Not prioritizing security
Before migrating to the cloud, never make the mistake of not assessing your cyber security risks first. Any time you migrate data, there is the potential of being vulnerable to external attacks, misconfigured servers, malware, and more. You’ll want to ensure that security protocols and strategies are in place to avoid cyber security attacks.
A security assessment from Net Works Consulting Resources will ensure that proper security controls are integrated into your technology environment. With your security health assessment, you will get:
- An executive overview of the assessment scope and objectives
- Assumptions and limitations of the assessment
- Vulnerability test
- Methods and tools used
- Design of the current environment or systems with applicable diagrams
- Security requirements
- Risk assessment, including identified assets, threats, vulnerabilities, impact and likelihood assessment, and the risk results analysis
- Recommended actions
Our security assessment will help you understand the risks and vulnerabilities your business may currently face as well as recommended ways to strengthen security before you consider migrating your data to the cloud. Get started now.
Lacking a cloud migration strategy
Another common mistake is not creating a strategy of prioritization tactics when it comes to your business’ data. Of course, you don’t want to migrate all of your data at once but you do want to have a strategic plan in place on what chunks of data will be moved and when. The right cloud migration strategy for your organization depends on a variety of factors, including how large your company is and what infrastructure will work best for your business.
Whether you choose to migrate to a public cloud, private cloud, or a hybrid, you’ll want a team of experts behind you. At Net Works Consulting, we host your software and applications, which means you can eliminate the cost of investing in new infrastructure, licensing new software, and training new employees – saving you money and letting you focus on your business.
We also offer backup and disaster recovery that allows you to rest easy so that if you accidentally use a file or a disaster hits, you can recover. Our Azure/Amazon hosted servers to ensure the reliability and availability of your data and applications.
Not having the necessary personnel
To ensure the effectiveness of your cloud migration strategy and avoid detrimental consequences, you’ll want to have the necessary staff in place to help handle the new technologies in place. It’s likely that migrating your data to the cloud will be a learning experience at first. But don’t stress! Net Works Consulting can provide expert assistance for whatever your needs are.
Net Works Consulting offers the services you need to streamline your business, ensuring your organization is always running at its full potential. We can offer assistance in any of the following areas to help you get the most out of your business technology with tailor-made IT services:
- CIO / CISO full and part-time executive resources
- Network Infrastructure and Security Services
- Project Management Professionals
- Software Application Development Personnel
- IT Infrastructure Planning, Implementation, and Support
- Communications Personnel
- Helpdesk Services Team Members
- Training Personnel
To learn more about our cloud migration, cyber security, and IT solutions at Net Works Consulting, go to: networkscr.com/it-solutions